Skip to main content

Full text of "ERIC ED369951: Business Writing."

See other formats

DOCUMENT RESUME

ED 369 951 CE 066 420

AUTHOR Cartee, Sherri

TITLE Business Writing.

INSTITUTION Clemson Univ. , S.C. : WestPoint-Stevens , Inc.,
CI ems on, SC.

SPONS AGENCY Office of Vocational and Adult Education (ED),
Washington, DC. National Workplace Literacy
Program.
[94]

V198A20218-92

60p.J For related documents, see ED 361 516 and CE
066 419-424.

Guides - Classroom Use - Teaching Guides (For
Teacher) (052)

MF01/PC03 Plus Postage.

Adult Education; ^Business Correspondence; Business
English; Course Descriptions; Course Objectives;
Instructional Materials; Learning Activities;
Learning Modules; ^Letters (Correspondence); Office
Occupations Education; ^Resumes (Personal) ; ^Writing
Instruction; ^Writing Processes

This module provides materials for a course in
business writing, including the writing process, letters, memos, and
resumes. The material is designed for three 1-hour classes in a
seminar format. Section 1 consists of an introduction, a list of
class objectives, and a course outline. The course outline details
teacher activities and student exercises and makes reference to the
attached handouts, where appropriate. Topics covered during each of
the three classes are as follows: (1) introduction and overview,
writing process, and writing memos and letters; (2) writing the draft
and revising? and (3) editing, publishing, and resume writing.
Section 2 provides handouts and materials on writing a business
letter, including a sample letter and a memo, informational handouts,
organization guide, and grammar guidelines. Section 3 is a "first aid
kit" for resumes with informational handouts, resume skill finder,
skills checklist, assessment checklist for a, resume, and sample
resumes. (YLB)

PUB DATE
CONTRACT
NOTE

PUB TYPE

EDRS PRICE
DESCRIPTORS

ABSTRACT

***************************************************^^

* Reproductions supplied by EDRS are the best that can be made *

* from the original document. *

****************************** ****************^

BUSINESS
WRITING

n« ^ ? C 0£PA «TMENT OF EDUCATION

Otf.ce ol Educational Research and implement

EOyCAriONAL^URCESlNFORMATlON

P /. h,s

i /. - document has been reproduced as
deceived Irom the person or organisation
Originating it "

r> M,nor changes have been made to improve
reproduction quality

• Points ol view or opinions stated in this docu
ment do not necessarily represent ordeal
OtRI position or policy

WestPoint-Stevens, Inc.
The Learning Center
Cherry Road
Clemson, South Carolina 29633
(803) 653-2684

BEST COPY AVAILABLE

BUSINESS
WRITING

Section 1

Introduction
Class Objectives
Course Outline

Section 2

Writing a Business Letter

Section 3:

Writing a Resume

Sherri Cartee teaches basic skills and writing classes. She taught at Lakeside
Middle School in Anderson and Easley High School in Easley before coming to
WestPoint Pepperell. Shern attended Anderson College and Furman
University, where she earned a BA in English. She has two wonderful
children, Jeremy and Katy, and she live in Anderson. She enjoys reading,
| writing, camping, hiking, sewing, quilting, and Contra dancing. She developed
the attached reading/communications module. The material was presented in
a seminar format, but provided an intensive study of the writing process and
of the function of writing as communication.

The enclosed materials were developed at
WestPolnt/Stevens, Inc.

in

Clemson, South Carolina.
For further information,

contact

Anna Baldwin

at

803-653-2684

9

ERIC

4

SECTION 1

♦INTRODUCTION*
♦CLASS OBJECTIVES^
♦COURSE OUTLINE^

5

ERIC

Business Writing
Writing Process, Letters, Memos, Resumes

Many employees confess a lack of confidence in their writing abilities; however, they
are required to use written communication in spite of their fears. Corporate training
time -a precious commodity- generally must be invested in solving specific
production problems.

Because of people's writing anxiety and the unmet training need, we thought that a
short course in Dusiness writing might interest some employees. But the large
response to our class surprised even us. Because it was a pilot class, we first offered
the writing class to a small representation of the plant population. When 32 people
showed up the first day, we knew we were offering a relevant course. When 84% of
these completed the course, many saying "Thank you" as they left, we knew we had
met some real needs.

The course was divided into three classes, each lasting one hour. While only an
overview of writing could be accomplished in such a short time, the reach of the class
was extended by many supportive handouts, homework, and the offer of a continued
writing workshop class.

Greatest emphasis was placed on the writing process, especially prewriting (deciding
what needs to be said) and revising (clarifying ideas, communicating what is intended,
and searching for breaks in logic). It was decided that focusing the class on business
form and grammar/editing, though much easier to teach, would be a waste of valuable
time In the first place, grammar/editing skills take much longer than three hours to
learn More importantly, most people's fears spring from a perceived inability to say
what they wish in a way that makes them look good; most fears do not spring from a
perceived inability to place a comma correctly.

The purpose of written communication is, after all, communication. One of *he most
important objectives in this short course was to help people realize that they already
possess many of the skills required to communicate in writing. Simply helping
someone overcome her lack of confidence in her ability to write will often improve the
quality of her writing. This class went a long way toward meeting that objective as
well as other, more traditional, objectives.

I Class Objectives:

1. Students will be able to describe writing as a way to communicate with others on
| paper.

• 2. Students will be able to list the steps in the writing process.

3. Students will be able to create a semantic map to organize ideas for writing.

I 4. Students will be able to describe the differences between a memo and a business

letter.

I 5. Students will be able to use business writing skills in personal and professional

lives.

I 6. Students will be able to list several goals to reach for in business writing.

I 7. Students will be able to tell the difference between passive and active voice.

8. Students will be able to list several strategies for revising their writing.

' 9. Students will be able to describe some attributes of effective business writing.

I 10. Students will be able to tell the difference between a complete sentence and a

■ fragment.

| 11. Students will be able to write a memo and business letter.

12. Students will be able to create an effective resume and cover letter.

13. Students will be able to appreciate their own ability to complete writing
assignments successfully.

The goal for the class was that all students be able to successfully attempt at least six
of the above objectives. With a longer class, the expectations would increase.

7

«

pourse Outline

Day 1 Introduction and overview

Teacher uses own writing experiences to illustrate the benefits
of effective writing.

Students are asked to share their own experiences with writing.

Point out letter to students (sheet 1). Ask students to read it
before the next class if you don't have time to have them read
it in class.

Go over What writing is . . . and isn't (sheet 2)

Ask: When you think of writing, what comes to mind?
List student responses on board. Have students begin to group
and organize ideas. Transfer their organized ideas to a semantic
map on the board. The central circle could be: What are my
concerns about my writing?

One class showed great humor and creativity in this activity.
One list of ideas had to do with coming up with ideas for writing;
they labeled that group "Genesis." The next group of ideas had
to do with putting their ideas on paper; they labeled that group
"Exodus" (or "Lef s get this done and get out of here!"). The final
list had to do with grammar rules; they labeled that group
"Leviticus/' or the Law

Writing Process

Use the previous activity to introduce writing process. Tell
students they have just completed the steps involved in getting
ready to write, or prewriting. Briefly describe the steps for
effective writing:

prewriting, writing the draft, revising, editing.

Discuss ways to organize ideas. Point out sheets 4 and 5.
Have students read th3se for homework (as well as sheets 6-14)

Writing Memos and Letters

Briefly go over business letters and memos. Tell students that
business writing is focused, to the point, readable, complete -
different from "school" writing in the way information is organized
and presented. Point out sheet 3 and have students read it.

Ask students to bring examples of memos and/or letters to share.

Day 2 Writing the Draft

Review steps of the writing process.

Remind students that goal of writing is communication. Add
that business writing is a way to record and document infor-
mation so that it can be used by others in the future.

Remind students: Memos go to colleagues and employees.

Letters go to people not part of immediate
work environment - outsiders.

Ask students to share experiences, questions, examples of
business writing.

Discuss tips for writing the draft (see sheets 7-12). Point out
reasons for transitions. Give examples.

Show and discuss model examples (sheets 18 - 22).
Revising

Discuss how revision involves ideas and clarity, not grammar,
spelling, and punctuation.

For illustration, I devised the following word picture:
When one makes jelly or preserves, one starts with a big
pot of fruit juice or fruit pieces - good-tasting, but not jelly.
For jelly to become jelly, it has to be boiled down to a fraction
of its former volume. One wouldn't try to spread fruit juice on
a piece of toast; if one wants a useful spread, one has to boil
out all the unnecessary liquid. It's the same with writing - one has
to "boil out" all the wordiness, pompous language, unclear state-
ments and unnecessary information so that a useful document
is created.

Go over information in sheets 10 - 13; 17 - 18; 23 - 24.

Have students practice during the week:

1 . Review your own writing to find message, details, objective.
Look for ways to revise and clarify ideas.

2. Practice revising some of your past writing.

3. Revise writing that you receive from others (Don't send it
back to them or show it to anyone else except a teacher!).

9

Teacher Helps:

Goals for writing memos:

1 . Define your purpose within the first two sentences.

2. Provide enough background so that any reader can understand the infor-
mation. If you must, attach relevant technical or explanatory information with
the memo. Refer to the information within the memo.

3. Analyze the information you present. Make it make sense. Help reader see
your position.

4. Make sure you state clearly what you want the reader to do with the infor-
mation you provide.

Use examples of confusing sentence construction to alert students to need for
revision and to introduce editing. See sheets 10 and 24. Also, consider the
following:

"Sentences which actually appeared in church bulletins" (source unknown)

1 . This afternoon there will be a meeting in the south and north ends of the
church. Children will.be baptized at both ends.

2. Tuesday at 4:00 pm, there will be an ice cream social. All Ladies giving milk
please come early.

3. Wednesday the Ladies Literary Society will meet. Mrs. Johnson will sing
"Put Me In My Little Bed," accompanied by the pastor.

4. This being Easter Sunday, we will ask Mrs. Johnson to come forward and
lay an egg on the altar.

5. The Ladies of the church have cast off clothing of every kind and they may
be seen in the church basement on Friday afternoon.

6. The service will close with "Little Drops of Water"; one of the Ladies will start
quietly and the rest of the congregation will join in.

7. Thursday at 5:00 pm there will be a meeting of the Little Mother's Club. All
wishing to become little mothers will please meet the minister in his study.

10

Day 3 Editing, Publishing, and R6sum6 Writing

Review the writing process briefly.

My favorite image to describe editing is one of "dusting." When one has com-
pany, one usually puts away (or at least hides) most of the clutter and clears a
path to the door (revising). The last thing one does is give everything a quick
dusting to make it shine. Visitors would not notice the nice dusting job if one
left the house a mess, piled up from the door to the couch.

Teaching editing must take into account the needs of each particular class.
Class may involve discussing what makes a sentence (sheet 25), or it may
involve some rules of grammar (sheets 26 - 29). One of my favorite strategies is
to use fresh grammar and usage ideas from James J. Kilpatrick's newspaper
column. In addition to his column, he has also written a book that will be pub-
lished by Andrews & McMeel, Fall, 1993.

Sheets 15-20 also provide help for planning discussion on editing.

«

Resume Writing

Material in the resume writing packet provides a springboard for discussion.
Teacher notes on the next page may help in planning. Wherever possible, this
module should stand alone as a seminar, with time for students to create or
improve their own resumes.

RESOURCES

Evers, Jim. The Hate to Write But Have To Writer's Guide. James L. Evers Associates,
"Workplace Basics," 10 Rockland Avenue, Manuet, New York 10954; 1990.

This handbook is especially useful and inviting. It can be used as a student textbook. Pages are
color-coded to correspond with the steps in the writing process. I highly recommend it.

Caskey, C. O. Frugal Me! Frugal Me! R. L Bryan Company, Columbia, SC;

1985.

Dr. Caskey's lighthearted approach to the subject of business/technical writing makes for
enjoyable reading while providing particularly practical insights into the nuts and bolts of creating effective
business writing.

Estrin and Eliot. Technical Writing in the Corporate World Crisp Publications,
Inc., Los Altos, CA; 1990.

This handbook offers guidance and many examples to help writers improve their work. The
authors focus their book mainly at an audience of technical engineers, but all business writers may
benefit from the organization of this book and its helpful tips.

11

Teacher's Notes

1. Resumes are the first impression you make on prospective employers.
Should be organized, clean-looking, present your best up front. -

2. Planning is most important step. Listing and ordering your skills gives
you confidence and way to present yourself positively.

Questions handout and Transferable skills handouts.

3. What do you put in a resume?

1 page, at most 2

Write in phrases - employer should be able to scan quickly (1 minute)
and learn most important facts about you. Select work and educational
experiences with care.

Name in bold top. center. Underneath, permanent address & phone.

Many use "Employment objective" - narrowing down what you are
looking for - some employers look for this

Rest is ordered by importance - what will make you look most
desirable (your best suit)

Work experience - start w/most recent. List responsibilities.skills.Use
phrases, not complete sentences. OR - if relevant skills come
from a recent job other than your present one. you may want
to list it first. List job titles, achievements. List professional
certificates/licenses, memberships, computer knowledge,
foreign languages.

Education - where, date, academic record, honors & awards, relevant
activities.

Background and interests - like a warm-up for interview; lets inter-
viewer see you as a person

References - May not have room on resume, but be sure to have a
list with you at interview in case they are requested.

Any unique information, valuable projects, or accomplishments should
be near the front of the resume. Make them visible. This is a
sales paper - you are trying to sell YOU!

Always send a cover letter with your resume.

Make sure cover letter is same type paper as resume.

Send resume/cover letter to a specific person when possible.

Use the word you instead of I whenever possible: "You will note from
my resume. ..."

Always send a thank you letter alter an interview. (Interviews and
surviving them are a whole other subject!)

DO NOT include: photo, your sex and age. political/ religious
affiliations, salary expectations.

Make sure it is expertly typed, not sloppy or untidy.

12

BEST COPY AVAILABLE

SECTION 2

♦WRITING A BUSINESS LETTER*

ERIC

13

WRITING A BUSINESS LETTER
(or, Gee, do I have to do this?)

August 1993

4

/

with thanks to Jim Evers,
author of The Hate to Write but Have to Writer's Guide
James L. Evers Associates
Nanuet, New York

9

ERIC

14

< Iht Learning Center Writing Course
West&oint Pepperett
CUmson,SC 29631

August 24, 1993

Reluctant writer
WestPoint Pepperell
Clemson, SC 29631

Dear Reluctant Writer:

£° Many people must write as part of their jobs, but most do not

enjoy the task. Lack of training, lack of experience, and lack of
confidence in writing ability often create panic in the most
competent business people.

A^If^you have been looking for help in how to write business

correspondence, you have come to the right place. While I can't
do much more than scratch the surface in an hour's time, I hope
that the tips I give you can be of benefit to 'you as you complete
your job.

I will touch on the basics of clear business writing:

planning the job, getting your ideas down clearly,
completing your writing task

You will receive several handouts which may help you with your
future writing tasks.

This class is not meant to be a thorough course in all there is to
know about effective writing. My intent is to help you gain more
confidence and skill as you write. If you desire a more detailed
writing course, let me know so that we can plan a class to meet
your needs.

Sincerely ,
Sherri Cartee

1

BEST COPY AVAILABLE

What Writing Is . . . and Isn't

1 . Perfect writing doesn't exist.

2. Commun.ca.ion: Writing is simply

can be learned!

1 it mav halo to think of your reader as your client. Picture the person to whom you

4. How effective your writing is deperids on to ft n aad M ream B w h nf is written.

5. Positive results occur when you know ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ (readef) ^

mee t yourself.

6. ALL writers experience writing frustrations and difficulties.

Anxiety Causes Blocks to Writing

1 Complaining - "Why do I have to do this?"
2 3 SSESESS -' : ~t * Ssoiuteiy perfect to be acceptable "
3 4 . Sent' Tm going ^^ZZt&T^mn my writing,
5. Stalling and excusmg - J^*^^ morning, so I haven't had time to

start my work. Why start now?"

All these anxiety tricks won't get the writing done.

Recognize the blocks when they occur, but ge. on with the process of writing anyway.

2

16

MEMO

Date: August 24, 1993

To: Reluctant Writers

From: Sherri Cartee

Subject: How to Plan and Complete Your Writing

^Hiou have to write memos, letters, reports, or articles, here's how you can plan the job
more effectively and complete the task.

Complete prewriting steps before you begin the actual document.

1 Identify your topic. What specific information do you need to communicate to

your reader? What information do you need to request?

2 Focus on who your reader is and what you need to get from him. Wntmg as

' if you were talking to a specific person can make your writing more effective.
3. Brainstorm and organize your ideas.

B. Write your first draft.

1 Use your organized ideas as the bones of your writing.

2 Flesh out your work with an introduction, transitions, and a conclusion.

3. Concern yourself with the content, not the mechanics (grammar, spelling).

C. Revise the content.

1 Give your written work a resting penod.

2 Read it over to make sure that all necessary facts and questions are present.
3' Pay attention to the clarity (or lack of clarity) of your writing. Make changes
as necessary. (Ideally, have an effective writer look it over with you.)

D. Edit your work.

■ 1. Now is the time to pay attention 10 mechanics and form.

2. Check grammar.

3. Check spelling.

E. Get the work out!

( 1 . Put writing in final form on official stationery.

2. Look it over one final time, then sign it.
— 3. Send it on its way.

3

EMC pEST COPY AVAILABLE

Organizing your ideas

After brainstorminq and listing your ideas, you can usually find a way to organize them
tan in you y r writing in the best way possible. Is there a log,cal or
obvious order that jumps out at you from your prewnting work?

Hftro am somft wa Y fi that W M * bQ organized;

Greatest to least
Least to greatest
Step-by-step

Comparison (ways alike) and contrast (ways different)
Pro and con (for and against)

tff^^^A isnext to this, which is by this, which is across from

Temporal (this month, then in July, again in September, then in November)

Cause and effect (if ... . happens, then )

Least preferred to most preferred
Most preferred to least preferred

From your map or list, order your ideas:

1 Number each idea according to your ordering pattern. Or . . . .

2 Put each detail you plan to use on a separate post-it note. Post them in front _ of you
on a piece oi [paper, on your desk, on your computer, on the wall. Then move them
around until vou achieve your best order to support your message.

rODtiona l' Before writing your first draft, take your ideas and organ.ze them in an
outlme so thai Tyou can summarize what you are doing. If all the pieces are there and
it makes sense to you, start writing!

I know all this seems like it is taking too much time, but with practice these steps will
make your writing better, more efficient, and, most importantly, more effective. An
Sonal b^for you is that you have created a file with a wonder^ memory
ioqqer - you have documentation about your wnting process, the farts V™™
coined (and from whom), and many other details which may benefit you if you are
questioned later about the project or the meaning of your wntmg.

4

IS

Organization Guide

1. Working Title: (what am I writing about)

2. Deadline: (when do I have to have this completed?)

3. Reader: (wj}0_am I writing to/for?)

4. Reader info: (how can I best inform/influence my reader?)

What characteristics of this reader must I keep in mind?

What will this reader be looking for?

What's in it for my reader? (Letting him know how he will

benefit is an excellent way to "sell" your ideas or motivate response.)

5. Message: What conclusion do I want my reader to reach? What key need of my

reader am I addressing?

6. Objective: What action (if any) do I want my reader to take?

7. Details: These come from your brainstorming map (semantic map).

5

!9

Organization Guide

1. Working Title:

2. Deadline:

3. Reader:

4. Reader info:

5. Message:

6. Objective:

7. Details:

6

ERIC

20

TONE

Tone, or style, is how a piece of writing sounds. Experienced writers adapt their tone
to their purpose. They can make a piece sound friendly, unfriendly, distant, close,
personal, impersonal, gentle, firm, direct, indirect, bureaucratic, obscure, lofty,
humorous, warm, etc.

Until you have experience, you may find that the tone of your writing just "happens."
You may not have even known that you could create a specific sound for each piece
of writing. But you can.

Your sound, or style, will depend on the purpose of your writing.

If you choose an informal style, your writing will feel close and direct. You write as if
you are talking directly to the reader. Use names, especially first names. Use
personal pronouns, especially "I," and a few contractions (isn't, don't, we'll, etc.) Keep
most of your sentences short (under 20 words), and use active voice.

Active Voice Examples

We have decided that . . .

I will forward the report . . .

Mr. Morris reviewed your proposal . . .

If you choose formal style, your writing feels distant and non-direct. In this case, you
write as if the company or some authority is talking, not you personally. Don't use first
names, don't use "I" or "you", and don't use contractions. Use longer'sentences, and
use the passive voice (use this form SPARINGLY).

Passive Voice Examples

It has been decided that . . .

A report will follow . . .

Your proposal has been reviewed

While passive voice has its function, for most writing assignments use active voice and
avoid passive voice. Passive voice tends to be more confusing, cluttered, and
ambiguous - it's the nature of that style. It is often difficult to tell who has done what,
who will do what, or what someone expects the reader to do. Active voice, on the
other hand, tends to have more energy, appears more clear, clean, and inviting. The
reader usually knows who has done what, who will do what, and what the writer
expects the reader to do.

7

21

Writing the Draft

„ ,u a , • and then start writing to finish
2 It mav halo to think "I am writing to tell you mat. ■ ■ ■ » finished ^ng.

fjphla. DO NOT include ^writing to hint. The

explain it before you do it. Get it?

3. F0 t most letters and memos you - ^^SESEUA -
0, her spa.alized W eso t wn,ing adapt .ettertootherpanern, A few options are

4.

listed below:

1 Reports and studies

Purpose of report or study

Qnmmarv of the conclusions
Rattan of details that led to the conclusion
Recap the summary

2 - ^Cf.^aCdTs ^ground

Recommendations lor resolving the problem
Wh?you recommend wnat you re^ntend

So,^™ implemented^
Summary

3. Notices, follow-ups, letters, memos (the quickie)

Focus the reader s attention on the issue
Detail/explain evidence needed
State conclusion

8

4. Articles, sales letters, advertising, public relations (or, how to hook someone
and keep them on the line until you catch their full attention and possible
approval)

Attention getting opening (question, quotation, quick story)
Message

Word Picture of your message (must be vivid, engaging)
Message repeated as a conclusion

5. Sales letters

State the needs the client wants met (you are on his wave length and
understand)

Show (quickly) how features of your product benefit the client by meeting
his needs. Try this: Feature + So What? = Benefit. Answer the
"So what?" , considering your client's needs, and you have him lis-
tening.

Remember this: SALES writing is written sa-les "Say less" in order to
be effective.

When you utilize a more complex pattern for writing, you will probably be more
successful if you make a heading on a post-it note for each aspect of the piece
(details, summary, features, etc.); then organize your ideas on post-it notes under
each heading.

Next, write each heading on the top of a separate piece of paper, or list them
separately on your computer screen, and write what you intend to say in each section.

If you feel stumped, think, "In this section, I'd like to say that " Write whatever

comes next in your mind. Remember, though, don't include that phrase in your final
draft!

Most important of all, remember that vou are simply communicating vour ideas with

angfhg^iymsi^gij!^ Write as if you were talking with a specific person about a .

specific subject. The nice part about this way of communicating is that you can dress
up what you say and take your foot out of your mouth before you embarrass yourself
by saying something the wrong way, before you let your temper say something you
will regret, before you make an error that might get you in a sticky predicament.

Another benefit is that you can't be interrupted until you make your point. With careful,
clear writing, there is a lesser probability that you will be totally misunderstood and a
greater probability that real communication takes olace.

9

UNCLEAR WRITING

Have you ever read or written any sentences like these? These are sentences from
actual letters:

I am forwarding my marriage certificate and six children. I have seven, but one
died, which was baptized on half a sheet of paper.

I am writing the welfare department to say that my baby was bom two years old.
When do I get my money?

I cannot get sick pay. I have six children. Can you tell me why?

I am very much annoyed to find you have branded my son illiterate. This is a
dirty lie as I was married a week before he was born.

In answer to your letter, I have give birth to a boy weighing ten pounds. I hope
this is satisfactory.

************

t *****************

Unclear writing happens. Everyone creates sentences that say what the writer
didn't plan to say. How does one avoid such embarrassing moments? There are
several ways:

1 Have someone else read your work before you publish (send) it. They won't
have the benefit of the mental connections you used when you wrote it, so any-
thing you leave out will confuse your reader, and ycu can clanfy your writing
before you send it.

2 Put your work away for a few hours or, if possible, for a few days. Read it
over again. You will be more likely to be surprised by sentences that don t
"click"

3 Many sentences go astray because of misplaced modifiers. Even when the
sentence has an error in construction, our wonderful minds can often find the
writer's intent. As a writer, however, you want to make sure your sentences are
as clear as possible. Avoiding confusion requires attention to (horrors!)
grammar. Yes, all those hours in English class did have a pwppMta' the
real world. You might do well to invest in a copy of an English handbook such
the one published by Little and Brown.

10

ERIC

24

Transitions

When you want your writing to read smoothly, connect your ideas. In writing,
traditions are a good way to connect two ideas by acting as links, or glue, to hold
your ideas together.

Connect sentences and paragraphs by referring back to information you have already
dven Bfcarefut however. You want to make sure that you make your connect.ons
delriy SomSimes you make connections in your head that do not appear on paper
as you want them to.

Ways of creating transitions

Time relationships
after

afterwards

always

as soon as

at the same time

before

during

earlier

eventually

finally

first

following

immediately

in order to

in the meantime

last

later soon
meanwhile sooner

next
now
once
second
someday

till

then

today

until

when

sometimes yesterday

He ^nl^Z^^ express related thoughts about the same subjeot)

accordingly
also
and
as

because
besides

even though

furthermore

if

in the same way
like

likewise

mainly similarly
moreover since
more important
most important
neverthelss therefore
otherwise unless
1 while

ReSt Taying"e^ same thing in another way - example: The facts show that regular
exerciseis good for your health. As * result (of exercise be.ng good for your
health), millions of people have started jogging, swimming, and dancing.)

as a result
as a result of
as long as
because of

consequently
due to
evidently
for this reason

hence since
in conclusion
in view of so
it is evident summarily
thus

11

25

Opposite points of view

(connecting two opposing ideas)

although
but

conversely
however

in contrast even so while

on the contrary though yet

on the other hand unless still

tnan unlike as opposed

Location

above

across
against
along
alongside

amid
on top of
to the right

Emphasize a point
again
to repeat
truly

Conclude or summarize
as a result
finally

in conclusion

among
around
away from
back of
behind
below
outside
under

indeed

with this in mind
to emphasize

consequently
thus

therefore

beneath

beside

between

beyond

by

down
over

in front of

inside

into

near

off

onto

throughout

for this reason-
in fact

accordingly in short
due tc to sum up
in summary all in all

Add information to something already stated\
again ancl
also

additionally
in addition
another

besides
equally

'oortant
for example
for instance

furthermore

likewise

moreover

further

furthermore

next
finally
as well
together with
along with

Clarify something
that is

in other words

put another way to clarify
stated differently for instance

12

26

Revising your Writing

Revision means to "see again" (re - vision); that is, you will be seeing your work with
fresh or different eyes in order to see needed changes in CONTENT - ideas, facts,
details, coherence. You want to try to see the work through the eyes of your reader,
from her perspective. This process comes after you have written your first draft.

1 . Read it orally to yourself. Yes, I said orally. Your ears can often pick up what your
eyes can't. Also, you must focus your concentration more intently in order to read
aloud and listen to what you say. If you involve your ears in the process, it will be
more difficult to skim through on auto-pilot without paying attention. As you read the
piece, imagine that you are the person to whom this writing is addressed. Ask your-
self these questions:

Can I follow the message?
Are the details supportive? Are they sufficient?
Will the details have significance for the reader?
Is my objective stated clearly?

Is my conclusion the one I intended? Does it follow from the details I included?
Are any sentences/paragraphs unclear/ ambiguous/ too wordy/ pompous/
illogical?

2. Enlist another reader or listener. If possible, read it aloud to her in order for her to
be able to give you a summary of the key points of what you said. Ask her to tell you
what she heard; in addition, ask her to tell you if anything seems to be missing or
unclear. Thank her for her help:

Take her suggestions under advisement. Just because someone suggests something
doesn't mean you have to make the change. If you know your purpose and audience
better than your listener, you will know which suggestions have value, and you will
also know which suggestions to discard. Make any revisions you feel are needed.

Be careful. If you allow someone to READ your piece at this point instead of your
reading it to her, you will probably receive grammar and spelling heip instead of
content revision. If you prefer to allow someone to read the piece, try to make it clear
to her that your focus (at this point) is on cianty and completeness, not grammar and
spelling.

3. After making revisions, read it out loud again to yourself, pretending you are the
intended audience. Does it hold together'' is it all there?

4. Make a clean copy, then go on to editing. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

13

27

«g,DlTIHG
(ARE YOB SCARED YET?)

m ,s the the ^^^"^SE^y^^

-SSSKTSW* >~ — ~ ^ ste , ^ edlttlg .

Most People. = ?3S» 5S«S S^SSS*

assussaar- creami n clartty of ideas ^

.{you focus on editing to

writing.

Editing Guide

1- ^ emove •» ° f «* f ° U0Wmg: ^ have lost ^ waning, such as

J" 80 " ' 25£*2 «ot alt underet^d. TOese^ technic al
££U f « so T m re ^ l ^ung w someone «lthln your

ST* is the -ultimate" in poor taste. im J For

JSWWSrS S on the fence and

28

not make a commitment* (ex* - The meeting will be
Important" Why? "His contributions were minimal."
How so?) Others: good, workable, fine, suitable.
Be specific. Take a stand. Tell the truth. Give the facts,
non-specific nouns and pronouns - Have you ever wondered who
"they" were? "They" should take care of the national
deficit. Who? Use specific nouns and pronouns; use names
when possible.

2. Simplify wordy phrases and sentences.

You don't get prizes for writing the longest, most complex sentence.
I doubt you would even get a raise for it. Some writers use this tactic
to appear more intelligent. It doesn't work.

Wordy Concise

Examples: "Despite the fact that" because

"All of the all

"please don't hesitate to calT call

"at this point in time" now

"a necessary requisite" necessity

"surrounding circumstances" circumstances

3. Check all sentences for completeness. <
This is a two-week class all by itself.

Often, the problem is not lack of knowledge, but the fact that your mind

goes faster than your pen, and you leave something out. Then you create
the dreaded sentence fragment.

"Each evening, security will check all entries. If they are locked."
"Each evening, security will check all entries to see if they are
locked."

"Dee Petty gave the keynote speech. Which set a tone of quality."
"Dee Petty gave the keynote speech, which set a tone of quality."

4. Keep all lists and strings in parallel structure.

When you use a list of words or string of phrases/sentences, try to keep
them all in the same part of speech or structure.

"Well need to review three tasks: producing, packing, how we ship."
change to: producing, packing, shipping.

5. Unless they are intentional, change passive verbs to active verbs.
Passive verbs make a piece of writing move slowly and sound bureau-
cratic.

15

29

Passive- The meeting next Tuesday will be chaired by D. Vickery.
Active? D. Vickery will chair next Tuesday's meeting.

6 ' to say. try saying it in positive form,

using specifics.

Negative: The machine never works.

He's never here on time.
Positive- The machine broke down six times this week.

He was late three times this month.

7 Review verbs and pronouns for consistency.

' £Tare ^s^you can find out what is ™
-Accounting of all departments, were first to comply.
4neTstem overran the program. At the stop, it goes beyond and
continued three cycles."

8 - ^JS^SS' You'U find misspeUings easier

X?toankfully, this problem is what spell checkers on computers are

falleteS; bring your writing to me to look over. I have an eagle eye

^otoer^cSiem is homophones - words that sound alike but are spelled
^.rintlv - there their: wait, weight; toe-headed, tow-headed.
ffiSS? e£ Bee sure you keep piece by learning sum of these homo-
nhones It mav seam like a waist of time, but it is important hear to
S toe ap^ar^e of being a pore writer, witch makes you look less
competent-

9 - SereStoelS Use m KS™,

a better feel for correct punctuation, especially commas.

U^t^cot^yirconnect two sentences whose ideas are highly
related.

The Greige plant creates cloth; the Fabrication plant creates a
finished product.

10. Once all the editing is completed, set the writing into an inviting layout

^fnTonVletters you may indent some sections and

Sp^tions ^subheadings to guide your re ^ r hp ^f se ^ 0 Ts
Don't crowd your writing! Leave white space between sections ana
an inch space on all four margins.

16

30

Model 2.
Original — Work Update Memo

MEMO

Date: February 29, 1988

To: Janet Lake

From: Jordan Rivers

Subject: New Facilities Update

Janet:

1.

2.
3.

6.
7.

C P htago aU PreVi ° US ° n HVAC * ^

We have completed all HVAC work except for the cafeteria.

^£^B^** t0 ^ SiVCn 3 Sl0t f ° r * e Com P le «- <>f ^is

J^ e ji e ? Um J** POi ^ h3S been review «d by the contractor and there will be
an additional cost of $250 per double box for correction.

Sgg^nT W ° rk bCen COmpleted and 11 wil1 be reviewed by Margaret

The 9540 Q-system will be done by Margaret.

The voucher for all installed (vs. corrected) has been submitted by me to
accounting. Next update report is scheduled to be sent in two weeS

(90 + words, 6 sentences, average 15 words per sentence)
General Remarks:

This memo is difficult to follow because of its use of passive verbs and its
cluttered layout. Passive verbs often make sentences longer and^wordier
Sentence Remarks:

L Tn nnH°f thiS lh thC S , UbjeCt h6adin S- Also ' ' lt ' s unnecessary to say that
an update memo updates previous memos. V

2. Put the exception first (except for the cafeteria, we have completed )
especially if that's important or newsworthy. com P'*ed . . .),

17

31

Passive — use active.
(See revision)

Passive — use active.
(See revision)

Passive — use active.
(See revision)

Passive — use active
Passive — use active
Passive — use active

(Passive = ". . . waiting to be given a time by Fred").
(Active = "Fred will give a time . . .").
(Passive = ". . . has been reviewed by the contractor").
(Active = "The contractor has reviewed . . .").

(Passive = ". . . has been completed and will be reviewed'*)
(Active = "We have completed the balancer work
and Margaret will review it").

(See revision).
(See revision).
(See revision).

32

Model 2.
Revision — Update Memo

MEMO

February 29, 1988
Janet Lake
Jordan Rivers

HVAC Update, New Facility site #416, Chicago

Here are six update items:

1. HVAC Installations:

Except for the cafeteria, we have completed the HVAC. Fred Brown
will assign a time slot for the cafeteria.

2. Plenum Box Noise:

The contractor reviewed the problem. Baffles are needed. The additional •
costs will be $250 per double box. We have 10 double boxes. Cost: $2500.

3. Balancer:

All balancer work is completed. Margaret Higgins will review that work.

4. 9540 Q-System:

Completed. Margaret will do a test run walk-through.

5. Voucher:

I submitted voucher #4367 to accounting for all installed HVAC,
but not for corrected work.

6. Next Update:

Til send the next update on September 18, 1988.

(105 + words, 13 sentences, average 9.2 words per sentence)

from The Hate to Write But Have to Writer's

Guide, Jim Evers Associates, 10 Rocklan.
Ave . , Nanuet , NY 10954

33

DOCUMENT 1: THE MEMO

Date: March 9. 19XX

To: Keith Daniels, VPAA of Systems Development
From: Pam Silver, Field Representative. Division G
Subject: The Smith Water-Waste Filtration System

At your request, last week I met with James Dobson of Smith Corporation regarding their new
water-waste filtration system. I am writing to present my analysis of the appropriateness of the
Smith XL-3500 Filtration System to our needs here at Cookman's.

Background: As you well know, our Simpson County plant will soon begin operation. Our
company's long-standing concern with ecological issues warrants that we look closely at state-of-
the-art water waste filtration systems, especially since the Simpson plant will produce over 180
million gallons of contaminated waste-water annually.

Smith Corporation: Smith Corporation, based in Atlanta, Georgia, has been in business for five
years. It is well-known in the field of waste-water treatment; in fact, the recent use of a Smith
filtration system saved Barney Corporation from a growing reputation as a leading contributor to
environmental pollution in our own state.

The Smith Water-Waste Filtration System: The superiority of the Smith System may be judged by
five criteria:

1. Efficiena/: The heart of the Smith system is made of an inert polymer material that can
withstand any liquid with a Ph within the range of 0 to 14. The system provides an absolute
barrier that prevents all contaminants from being discharged. Materials such as BODs
(Biodegradable Organic Ditoxins) and CODs (Concentrated Organic Detergents) are retained
almost 99%. The contaminants we will produce at our Simpson County plant— iron, lead, and
zinc— are nearly 100% retained.

2. Compatibility and Future Flexibility: All Smith systems may easily be tailored to the particular
needs of an existing plant. In addition, should any new products or processes alter the
characteristics of our plant, Smith can easily accommodate such changes. With this guarantee,
there is little chance of the system becoming outdated.

3. Warranty: Smith Corporation offers a five-year warranty on ail their water-waste filtration
systems. The Corporation also guarantees that their system will produce discharged water
that is in compliance with ail federal, state, and local waste discharge requirements.

4. Cost: The Smith system most suited to our needs is the XL-3500 Membrane Filtration
System, priced at $145,000. This total price includes a foam control system as well as a
computerized chart recorder that will allow us to monitor the system's effectiveness.

5. Maintenance: The system membrane is designed to maintain a high rate of productivity
along with minimal cleaning requirements. Since the system is made of polypropylene, nylon,
stainless steel, and other non-corrosive materials, replacement costs will be minimal. And.
since the system's design allows complete contaminant removal with consistenly high filtrate
flow rates* a substantial savings in energy costs will be realized.

Conclusion: Judged by these five criteria, the Smith Corporation seems well qualified to provide our
new Simpson County plant with the needed water-waste filtration system. Also, recall that the
XL-3500 Filtration System is 15% less expensive than that offered by its chief competitor, Metacorp.
(See my March 1 memo.) Moreover, since Smith Corporation seems to have excellent upgrade
capacity, while Metacorp did not, I believe we should consider further investigation of the Smith
XL-3500 Filtration System.

With your permission I would like to set up a meeting with our design team and Mr. Dobson for
next week. I look forward to your reply.

from Technical Writing in the Corporate
Estin & Eliot, Crisp Publications.
Los Altos, CA

20

BEST COPY AVAILABLE

BRISTOL- M Y€RS PRODUCTS

US. Hisfiwiy 202/206 North SonwviBe.Nl 08876- 1279
ToD Fne 1-800468-7746

Coajumcf Aflkfcs DcpartiacaC

August 2, 1993

Ms. Sherry Cartee
150 Continental St
Apt D33

Anderson, SC 29625

Dear Ms. Sherry Cartee:

You recently contacted our representative, John Scheeler in the
Consumer Affairs Department and your inquiry has been referred to me.
We appreciate your taking the time to contact us. We take pride in
the quality and safety of our products, so it is of concern to us
when they do not meet your expectations.

We regret any inconvenience you may have experienced with our product
Ban Fr&dry Roll-on and are enclosing par value coupons totalling
$3.00.

Customer satisfaction is important to us. We value the information
your remarks offer us and look forward to serving you in the future.

4

tRLC

Sincerely,

Raymond C. Heimbuch
Consumer Affairs Manager

Enclosures : 178290-1
P3-1 BAN-2

$3.00

sAVE$:?nn Mil*

, (D BRISTOL-MYG3S
' w PRODUCTS

^ ban

ban

l , i Gordon «U fonn*,

} j CSrte j «te-r«nd gggL

A Bristol-Myers Squibb Company g £
2 I

tt

5

<*

03
©

♦*

•I

CO

in

c in

CO 3

Si o

u —<
u u
3 3
O 03

CO

0) *""J

♦- < X
J- o

3 03

>-
Q-

LU
CD

ai

ft

ft

itatlo

<

CO

CP
CO

Which uses short, well-written sentences?

Three separate filtration, washing, and dewatering problems that occur ii
the production of Herbicide 773 are considered in detail in the enclosed
study which was made on a small, continuous drum-type filter, and the
results are believed to be adequate to predict the behavior of small scale
equipment and to afford a basis for the selection of larger units for new
production plants.

The enclosed paper analyzes three separate filtration, washing, and
dewatering problems occurring in the production of Herbicide 773. This
study was made with a small, drum-type filter. The results are believed
to be adequate to predict the behavior of small scale equipment.
Therefore, the study will afford a basis for the selection of larger units
for new production plants.

Which is more complete?

A quote has been received, after soliciting various manufacturers a while
back, for 100 to 200 units to completer the manufacture of the HRV 200
TAS. For these units, a price was quoted as $473.25 each, plus a one-time
installation cost of $7,500.

When quotes were received? Who is the manufacturer? What is the HRV
200 TAS? Who quoted the price of $473.25? Is that the price for each
unit or for each set of 100 units? What is being installed for $7,500?

Last month Fred Markham of Multicycle Systems provided the following
quote in response to our need for relay card units. These units will allow
circuits on the HRV 200 TAS, our newest satellite, to be assigned
randomly in order to minimize blockage and allow uninterrupted
transmission. We will need 156 relay card units, each priced at $473.25.
In addition, Multicycle engineers will be required to install all 156 units
for which there will be a one time charge of $7,500.

23

38

u Utite rs are Not Careful"

. che article -Mangles Occur

from the atuo. ^ y James J- ls-J- i- P *

N c about a man who

- n-.. r rui/rarrer.of-;^- -nr-

owned £o«r.rott«exUers. s < ule .4 ^ ^^uisb

dogs locked up. ™ Hunter and »^ 0 J. d after a 0-day

Reported the * thcy be eutha ^ on Hunter

ownership of the a » pretty tough, i wo

: bset v,cion p.rxod. .„ ,..r.«T« J"

to hi3 acVc a j rhat'pop megastar »

•«••„.. l.. ««:ra.rth« it . i^sUf « r .u .,

*:f-r«; from a 'very u ttie K ~ n Wednesday.

shotgun at Di * area .
discovered i« that

BEST COP/ AVAILABLE

39

24

Part 1

WHAT IS A SENTENCE?

The surest way to get your meaning across is to use complete sentences.

A sentence is a group of words that expresses a complete thought.

In other words, a sentence tells a whole idea. A sentence does not make the reader '
ask, "Who or what did something?" or "What happened?"
The following groups of words are sentences:

Terry plays jazz piano.

This new car runs on special fuel.

Where does Samantha work?

If a writer leaves out part of the idea, the result is usually a sentence fragment.
A sentence fragment is a group of words that does not express a complete thought.
For example, these are sentence fragments:

Plays jazz piano. (Who plays jazz piano?)
The new car. (What happened to this new car?)

Exercise A. Number your paper from 1 to 10. For each group of words that is a
sentence, write S.

1.

An airplane was hijacked.

2.

The sport of basketball.

3.

Forgot her homework.

4.

Eric entered the contest.

5.

A reporter interviewed the President.

6.

Where is the counselor's office?

7.

Was behind the tall fence.

8.

The most popular kind of shoes.

9.

The center recycles newspapers.

10.

Beth speaks two languages.

Exercise B

. Follow the directions for Exercise A.

1.

A ten-speed bicycle.

2.

This jet has three engines.

3.

Crossed the wide lake.

4.

Chris found a bargain.

5.

Who will fix that faucet?

6.

Heavy machinery at the site.

7.

Exploded in the dark sky.

8.

Fireworks ended the celebration.

9.

Has the plane arrived?

10.

Tara finished the job.

25

Grammar, Usage, Mechanics

■ G

Grammar

g I. THE PARTS OF SPEECH

1. noun - names

| E.g.'s: man, Iowa, corn, wealth

2. pronoun - takes the place of a noUn

■ E.g.'s: you, we, herself, them

13. adjective - modifies a noun or pronoun
E.g.'s: red, large, two

4. verb - shows action or helps to make a statement

^ E.g.'s: is, does, have wanted

^ 5. adverb - modifies a verb, an adjective, or another adverb

| E.g.'s: rapidly, well, somewhat, too

16. preposition - relates a noun or a pronoun to another word
E.g.'s: into, below, from, of

17. conjunction - joins words or groups of words
E.g.'s: and, but, or, for, after, as, until

8. interjection - shows strong feeling
E.g.'s: ow!

THE PARTS OF A SENTENCE

1

The subject is the word or group of words in a sentence doing the action or
being.

a. simple subject

| E.g.: CJiaiJe_£ slept well.

b. compound subject

| E.g.: Charies and Emily slept well.

The verb is the word or words expressing action or state of being.

a. simple predicate

E.g.: The action is on the field.

b. compound predicate

E.g.: We assembled and checked ths motor.

26

Grammar

3.

The complement is the word or words in the predicate tha : comptete the
meaning of the subject and the verb. The direct object, the , md.rect
object, and the object complement follow act.on verbs. The sublet
complement follows a linking verb.

a.

c.

d.

The direct object receives the action of the verb or shows the
Jesuit oUhe actTon. It answers W?" or "whom?" after a verb.
En's- I took Lena with me. (! took whom?)
9 jean h^written her cacei- (Jean has wntten what?)

The indirect object precedes the direct object and usually tells
to whom or for whom the action of the verb is done.
E g Father promised ma the car. (Father promised to whom?)

The object complement is a noun or adjective that follows a-
direct object and refers to the object.
E g 's: They elected Mary chairwoman., (noun)
You made her angry , (adjective)

The subject complement is a noun, pronoun, or adjective that
follows a linking verb and refers to the subject.
E a 's- New York is our largest cjiy, (predicate noun)
' My best friend is sha- (predicate pronoun)
This book is gM- (predicate aajective)

-~ r a = s saws seeks? r

1 • .^n verb, test to see if it has a d,rect ob,ect by

AQkinn "what 7 " or "whom?" after the verb.

that refers to the object,
modifies the subject.

2.
3.

4.

27

o 42

ERIC

Grammar'

l«. THE PHRASE
1.

2.

3.

E.g.s: in the classroom; after the exam

a- A prepositional phrase used as r »~ * n ,

E -9-- Many ollhfijojifisls like hif -4c ad J ect,v e P^ase.

b - A prepositional ph^se u^d a<? a H„ Qr u •

E.g.: She practices I^^ST Mve * ,s an P^ase.

o. Occasionally, a prepositional phrase is used as

E.g.: flaarjlianer will be too late. oun -

«A* are formed from verbs bo, are used as nouns, adjectives, or

artnquakes, use My fnanduaaltaain Italy feared earthquakes .■

work is tiring." • K ' use a" this

^Sr^'S;!' « - -i « actor;
wcX n S^Xe.r;^ f n A»9 ° r -P'anato^

E9 -retr^~°^
pffi^sgsxr sen,ence - «-

E.g.: My mother, sitting nfffir ma, sm.led knowingly.

28

43 BEST COPY AVAILABLE

Grammar

IV. CLAUSES

, A clause is a group of words with a subject and a predicate.

Sn stand alone; it is the same as a s.mple sentence.

word A dependent dause cannot stand alone.

a . A dependent ^^^S*^ nS^

others, (adjective clause)

"pSSitS group is a FRAGMENT.)
IV TYPES OF SENTENCES

E ' 9 ' S: SI aXettn nit the ban and then stood waiting.

2 A compound sentence consists of * least two main clauses.
2 - e g One man watched, and the other man acted.

3 a complex sentence is made up of one main clause and a, leas, one

' IT Wen he cfme late, he missed the beginning o. the discussion.

4 A compound-complex sentence is made up ot a, leas, two main clauses and

ERIC

44 29

SECTION 3

♦WRITING A RESUME*

ERIC

45

FIRST AID KIT
FOR RESUME'S

[How to make a good first
impression on paper)

46

I TRANSFERABLE SKILLS

I What skills have you developed which would be useful in other lobs*? Look
below to see what you have to offer.

I Communication skills: Writing reports, essays, and correspondence
effectively, in plain language; speaking effectively to individuals and to
groups; listening carefully and sympathetically whenever necessary- •
| portraying ideas clearly and imaginatively.

Thinking skills: Defining a problem clearly; evaluating alternative courses of
action critically; creating different solutions to a problem when more than

I one answer is necessary; shaping new ideas in the context of old

■ circumstances.

I Human relation skills: Interacting cooperatively with superiors.

subordinates, and peers; communicating orders, instructions, and feelings
with openness, genuineness, and understanding; delegating tasks in ways
that show respect for the other person and receptivity to his or her ideas-

I negotiating, arbitrating, supervising; teaching and instructing.

I Valuing skills: Being able to view and assess an area of work activity in terms

I of the effects it will have upon human welfare; making and enforcing

decisions in terms that will maximize human welfare.

Research skills: Discovering and identifying people who have information
that is relevant to a task or a problem; idendfying resource materials
necessary to the solution of a problem.

Interviewing skills: Acquiring information from people when they are
reluctant to divulge it or when information is difficult to reach; generating
trust in such situations, which is necessary for future contacts.

Planning/organizing skills: Being able to sense an idea whose time has
come to move toward work models that capitalize on this idea, and to sell
the idea to appropriate people.

Managmg/coordinating: Taking charge; having responsibility for bringing
together people, resources, and events; coping with deadline pressure-
budget management.

o 47

ERIC

Resume Skill Finder

Before summarizing your work experience and education in a r£sum£,
you should identify the knowledge, skills, and abilities you have
developed. Think of each job, life experience, or educational
experience separately, and ask these questions about each
experience. Then you can choose to emphasize the skills that
relate to your career objective. Consider the following
questions:

What skills have you developed as a result of the experience?
What do you know now that might be useful in the future?.

Did you supervise any people'

Did you make any decisions? Recommendations?

What were your job responsibilities? How did they change and/or
otherwise develop over the course of the experience?

Did you operate any equipment?

Did you gather any information or conduct research? Did you
analyze information in any way?

Did your experience involve working with ether co-workers?
Teamwork?

Can you quantify the results of ycur wcrk? (number of customers
served, percentage increase in production and/or quality)

Did you utilize and/or develop any technical skills?

Did you produce any written documents and/or written reports?

Did you help other people an any way*

How well were you able to meet deadlines and handle pressure?

ERLC

48

Did you assume any leadership roles?
were you involved in any planning responsibilities?
did you work each week?

Kow much time

nnC e P ec consider how
n«t all the skills/experiences you possess, ct

SlbMJ ffiffinleu *11U on It.

49

SKILLS CHECKLIST

Writing reports, essays

Writing correspondence

Speaking effectively to individuals, groups

Listening carefully and sympathetically

Portraying ideas clearly

Defining problems clearly
Evaluating alternative courses of actions critically
Creating different solutions to problems
Applying new ideas to old circumstances

Interacting cooperatively

Communicating orders & instructions with openness, genuineness

Delegating tasks with respect for the other person

Negotiating

Arbitrating

Supervising

Teaching and instructing

Assess work in terms of effects on human welfare

Making, enforcing decisions in terms that will maximize human welfare

Finding people who have relevant information for a task; project
Identifying resources necessary to solution of a problem

Acquiring information from people when information is difficult to reach
Generating trust in interviewing situations, necessary for future contacts

Being able to sense an idea whose time has come
Move toward work models that capitalize on new ideas
Sell ideas to appropriate people

50

Taking charge „ ortn iA resources, events

"Having responsibility for bringing together people,

~Coping with deadline pressure
_Budget management

ERIC

51

ACTION WORDS FROM RESUMES

accommodated

achieved

acquainted

activated

adapted

administered

advertised

balanced

built

classified

combined

commanded

demonstrated
designated
designed
determined

economized

educated

eliminated

employed

encouraged

established

estimated

illustrated
improved
increased
informed

maintained

managed

measured

merged

minimized

modernized

modified

recommended

rectified

reduced

regulated

removed

reorganized

repaired

replaced

reported

restored

advised

advocated

altered

analyzed

appraised

approved

assembled

communicated

conceived

conferred

consolidated

consulted

developed
directed
disclosed
discontinued

evaluated

examined

exchanged

executed

expanded

expedited

extended

initiated
instructed
interpreted
introduced

motivated

observed

obtained

operated

organized

originated

marketed

simplified

solved

sponsored

stabilized

strengthened

studied

supervised

supplemented

surpassed

suggested

assisted

assumed

attached

attained

augmented -

authorized

controlled

converted

counseled

created

curtailed

discovered
dispatched
displayed
distributed

familiarized

formulated

governed

grouped

guaranteed

guided

generated

inventoried
invested
investigated
lectured

planned

prescribed

procured

produced

publicized

published

terminated

trained

transferred

transformed

unified

updated

utilized

vetoed

wrote

52

Judging your Resumes Quality and Effectiveness

If you cannot answer "yes* to each of these questions, examine your rough draft carefully and
make changes so that you can answer "yes".

APPEARANCE

Is it neat and easy to read?
Do topic headings stand out?

Have you used space to highlight headings and important Information?
Save you used underlining, capitalization, bold type, varied type styles, and spacing to

SS^i SffilflSSSStf headings and content - centered, margined, indented? I
Have vou used the best type style or styles to create the image you want?

Is ^ur resume free of typographical errors, misspelled words, messy erasures? j
Does your resume look professional and businesslike? . ,

Is your final draft clear and dark enough for good duplication?

OVERALL PRESENTATION

Is your resume well organized, presenting a professional Image, highlighting the most

l ^ 0 ™L%™*%«nentso(yo»T resume if asked to do so in an ^
Does murrisumd present your qualifications in the best light possible, stressing skills?
Dms yoZ vtsumt i£ake it easy for a potential employer to say "yes" to a request for an
interview?

Is your resume concise and thorough?

is your resume the most professional presentation of your ability to compete ~ task
effectively and successfully?

VMDuld you be proud to show a potential employer your resume?
CONTENTS

Identifyi ng information
Does your name stand out?

Are vour address and phone number easy to find?

£mo« 3hu TonTaddress or phone number appears, is it clear when each is to be used?
nhj^ rttvc statement llf used )

Does it project knowledge of the desired career field by using appropriate phrasing?
nnM , t ItrUa iob titles lob functions, vour skills, or a combination of these?
^55e^e^ddy^amuldpun»ost resume without an objective, as well as one or
more resumes with objectives?

Experience

Have vou included all experiences that project skills and accompUshments?

D?<Tyo y u deslribe experSces in active phrasing, using skills-oriented and useful desenptive

Did yoli discuss achievements and accompUshments. noting facto and figures when

Are P expSefces grouped according to topics that are related to your goals or stated objective?
HaUyo?^? bought about all the activities, paid and volunteer, that contributed to your

develoDlnfl the skills and abilities you possess?

SSjob Uttea ^organizations, or both, stand out as well as you desire? Could a potential
employer find them easily?

KIC

53

Have you presented experiences in reverse chronological order? If not, is there logic behind
the presentation?

Have you included dates with your descriptions? If not, do you have a good reason for leaving
them out?

Education

Have you presented school(s) f degree(s), area(s) of concentration, courses, honors?
If an objective is stated, have you highlighted academic experiences that are most relevant?
Are grades or grade point averages presented, if complimentary? (In other words, if they are
something to brag about - if not, don't include them!)

Have you presented academic-related information appropriate for your goals?
Communltv/school activities

Have you listed appropriate activities, noting leadership positions and describing
responsibilities?

If you included organizations that might be controversial, have you considered how a potential
employer might react?

Have you presented activities in clear fashion, avoiding acronyms and describing little-
known organizations and awards?

Skills

Have you presented your skills in the language of potential employers, in terms appropriate to
your goals?

Have you been objective and thorough in your self-assessment, presenting skills you truly
possess and those you feel confident using on the job?

Have you provided evidence concerning where you developed and utilized these skills,
referring to experiences, education, or activities?

Qualifications summary

Have you outlined the qualifications you possess, those that would be attractive to an employer
considering you for a position related to your objective?

Do you show an understanding of the field by using appropriate terms and stressing
appropriate characteristics?

Have you considered using headings such as Related Experience to highlight important
information?

Interests

Have you included only positive information, leaving out anything that can be viewed
negatively, hurting your chances?

Personal date

If presented, did you leave out any information that could be used to discriminate against you?
Yes. I know they are not supposed to discriminate against you by law, but you don't want
to take chances in the real world